Pages

Sunday 29 April 2012

Compile DWM on Ubuntu

My Good Friend told me about suckless.org. In the meanwhile, I installed the new Ubuntu version (12.04) on my ssd drive. I was almost happy, but I felt, that this is just too much for me. I don't want to follow the Unity line, I am fed up with the Windows like feeling, I am fed up with the mouse, I want to work with my computer. So let's give a try to a minimalistic approach: dwm.
First, I just did a lazy apt-get install dwm, but after a day, I thought It is a good idea to look at the source code, do some configuration, etc.

hg clone http://hg.suckless.org/dwm
cd dwm
sudo apt-get install libxinerama-dev
sudo make clean install
cat /usr/share/xsessions/dwmcustom.desktop
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=DwmCustom
Comment=Dynamic window manager
Exec=/usr/local/bin/dwm
Icon=dwm
Type=XSession
That's all you need to have your custom dwm compiled.

No comments:

Post a Comment