Pages

Sunday 4 November 2012

Dreamplug serial console, plus faster boot

Some months ago, I put my hands on a Dreamplug device. I haven't done too much with it, just put arch on it. Now I decided to log in again, and play around with it. First I need to log in with the serial console. In order to do that, I need to be able to use my serial (ttyUSB0) as a simple user. I first added myself to the dialout group:
sudo gpasswd dialout -a matelakat
And as I don't want to log on/off, I activated the group memberships:
newgrp dialout
And off you go, I just had to start minicom:
minicom
Let's make booting a bit faster. See here. I will make a note of my original bootcommand here (The whole stuff needs to be one line!)
bootcmd=setenv ethact egiga0; ${x_bootcmd_ethernet}; setenv ethact egiga1;
 ${x_bootcmd_ethernet}; ${x_bootcmd_usb}; ${x_bootcmd_kernel};
 setenv bootargs ${x_bootargs} ${x_bootargs_root};
 bootm 0x6400000;
And so it is modified to:
${x_bootcmd_usb}; ${x_bootcmd_kernel};
 setenv bootargs ${x_bootargs} ${x_bootargs_root};
 bootm 0x6400000;
With this:
Marvell>> setenv bootcmd '${x_bo...
And save the stuff:
Marvell>> saveenv
And reset
Marvell>> reset
So that the device will boot significantly faster.

No comments:

Post a Comment