Pages

Wednesday 20 March 2013

Starting the Raspberry PI

I arrived to a point, to start my RaspberryPi, that I got for Christmas from my beautiful fiancee. Let's see: Download the image from the Arch Linux / Raspberry PI page:
wget -q http://raspberry.mythic-beasts.com/raspb
erry/images/archlinuxarm/archlinux-hf-2013-02-11/archlinux-hf-2013-02-11.zip
unzip archlinux-hf-2013-02-11.zip 
sudo dd bs=1M if=archlinux-hf-2013-02-11.img of=/dev/mmcblk0 oflag=dsync
Please note the usage of the dsync flag. Without that, I have some nasty dmesg logs, complaining:
INFO: task blkid:3812 blocked for more than 120 seconds.
...
If you want to know where dd is, send him an USR1 signal:
sudo kill -USR1 pid_of_dd
And now, plug it to the Raspberry, and see what happens! Of course, I did not plug in a keyboard, nor a screen, as I don't have such devices at home. I expect the Arch to come up nicely with an ssh server. Wow, in the DHCP, I suddenly noticed a new device, alarmpi. Okay, let's ssh in to that! The user/password is root/root Update the system:
pacman -Syu
It downloaded a new kernel as well, which is a bit scary for the first sight. I'll reboot, and see if the kernel update happened or not. The update process was really slow. I guess it is something to be done offline / in an emulator, not on the real device. The actual kernel:
Linux alarmpi 3.6.11-6-ARCH+ #1 PREEMPT Mon Feb 11 02:33:03 UTC 2013 armv6l GNU/Linux
Okay, the update finished, so I rebooted the small fruit. After that, I looked at the kernel version:
Linux alarmpi 3.6.11-8-ARCH+ #1 PREEMPT Sat Mar 9 00:38:58 UTC 2013 armv6l GNU/Linux
So it managed to successfully upgrade the kernel. Nice! Now, let's use the raspberry to check a disk for errors:
badblocks -b 1048576 -n -o badblocks.sam120 -s -v /dev/sda
Further reading for me, it might be interesting how to emulate an arm device, so that the initial update could happen on an emulator

No comments:

Post a Comment